Sunday, March 8, 2009

Aquarium Newbie - Day 8

3/8/09 - Cloudy water after partial water change

Well, on Friday the 6th I bought 4 Neon Tetra's despite the tank being a tad overcrowded with them. People warned me and I did think I was going to lose them that night! I brought them home and acclimated em for about 15-20 minutes adding tank water to the bag every 5 minutes. They were ok for a while but then they started to lose their brilliant color and stopped schooling all together. So, I went to bed figuring I'd wake up to dead fishes but much to my surprise the next morning they were all very awake, alive, schooling together and full of color! I fed them and they ate eagerly, which about made my day.

Saturday I did a 25% water change for the fist time since I started the tank a week ago. Took me a while to figure out the siphon but eventually I got portions of the gravel vacuumed until about 25% of the water was in the bucket. Forgot to clean out the filter in the old tank water though, oh well, next week should be fine. I de-chlorinated 2 1/2 gallons of tap water and added it to the tank along with the EasyBalance water treatment...

This morning and throughout the day the water has been a bit cloudy again, all fish seem to be doing very well however. The Tetra's are looking good and even a tad bigger, but that may just be my imagination. The Molly is growing a bit of a belly and my wife and I think she may be pregnant. We'll see in a week or two how that goes! Not sure what we'll do with a bunch of fry in an already crowded tank but I figure the Molly or another fish will most likely have them for breakfast. Anyway, I'd like to note that the tank may still be cycling and I hope the fish survive it. I should see a difference tomorrow if the cycle was anything like the first 72 hours.

I'll post some pictures of the cool little Tetra's as soon as the water clears a bit.

No comments: