Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Aquarium Newbie - Day 2

3/2/09 - Research, research, research

After last night's fish slaughter I continued to read up on how to set up a new aquarium and the do's and don'ts of caring for tropical fish. Went back to Wal Mart during my lunch break and spoke with an employee who knew his fish (at WalMart..surprised?) he told me that they would replace the fish at no charge, cool! I decided however that I would let the tank continue to cycle for at least another day to avoid any further casualties. Went ahead and purchased a tank thermometer.

That night I observed that the Ghost Shrimp were doing quite well for themselves, they are very hard to spot sometimes! I installed the thermometer and after an hour or so the water was hanging around 72F, which was on the low end of the 'comfort' range for tropical fish, who really need anywhere from 73-80F. Added a few Tetrafin flakes to the water to start getting the nitrate cycle going a bit faster, not to mention the shrimp found one or two and dined on them. Noted that the water was still very clear.

No comments: