Sunday, April 5, 2009

Aquarium Update



Well, the tank is doing well. I had an ICH breakout in there a couple of weeks ago and I successfully cured it by simply using heat and salt. I have kept a log of the treatment:

------------------------------------------------------

*****************
Day 1 - 3/21/09
*****************

Noticed after adding fluorescent bulbs that several of my fish had little white specks. After doing some research, I believe these white specks in addition to the fish occasionally scratching themselves on the decor attribute to the notorious 'Ich' desease which is apparently common but a nuisance and can eventually kill the fish if left untreated.

I am raising the water temp to about 85F over the rest of the afternoon and evening to speed up the cycle here and hopefully reduce or prevent the tomonts from multiplying. Also adding 2 tbsp of salt over the next 24 hours to kill off the thermonts if any do reproduce. 1st tbsp was added after a 50% water change earlier today. Tetra's are becoming very listless.


*****************
Day 3 - 3/24/09
*****************

Maintaining temperature at 85F (highest heater will heat the water). Have done 2 water changes except for yesterday, added 1tbsp salt this evening. The Molly and the Platy seem to have lost a few of their 'cysts' however one neon tetra seems to have gained quite a few. 2 or 3 Neon Tetra's have noticeable spots. Hopefully should see some of these disappear by Thursday or Friday. If not I will medicate the tank as much as I loathe putting chemicals in the tank.

*****************
Day 5 - 3/26/09
*****************

Did a 25% water change last night, added more salt (about half a tabelespoon). Today I Noticed that none of the other fish have the little white specks on them except for the two Tetra's that were bad this whole time, and even they seem to be losing some of the specks. The Molly has not been scratching herself today either that I've noticed. Not getting hopes up yet because the little suckers may just be hiding out reproducing and waiting for a host to swim by...we shall see.


*****************
Day 8 - 3/29/09
*****************

Another couple of 25% water changes the past 2 days, virtually all traces of ICH gone. No spots on any of the fish all day yesterday and all day today. Will maintain treatment for another 2-3 days to finish off any other thermonts that may still be alive.

*****************
Day 10 - 3/31/09
*****************

Checked today and still no traces of ICH, going to gradually bring temp down to 78 or 79F over the next 24 hours and then do another water change and not add any salt. Hopefully after 4 days without the spots they won't come back, but you never know. Regardless, I feel my Tetras have had enough of this salt and heat this month. Here's hoping it's gone for good!
------------------------------------------------------

Indeed, no sign of the ICH since then! I lost all but 3 of my Molly fry as well, don't know what killed them although I found one of them in the filter still alive but despite by best efforts it died a few hours later. I went ahead and got a Mystery Snail (Apple Snail) and that little guy is awesome. Carly and I named him NOS because he is the fastest snail I've ever seen, it can book it across the aquarium in no time. Check out the pics!


No comments: