Friday, April 10, 2009

Nano Tank!

Ok, I got a little interested in reef tanks...ok, a LOT interested. I recently picked up an AquaMedic NanoWave 9 tank (9 gallon) and I love it! Great price too by the way at $90 with free shipping. It includes a venturi style protein skimmer, a fuge area with shelves in the back for various filter media and a pump.

I had bought some live rock from a local guy here, it was an ok deal, $30 for about 7lbs of the rock. It was mostly cured already so I've just been keeping it in a bucket of saltwater with a powerhead in the garage until the tank was ready. Yesterday I filled the tank up with water and installed a little heater to bring the temp up to 78F. Late last night I came up to the office (I am keeping the tank on my desk here) and had to do some work so I went ahead and mixed up the salt 1/2 cup per gallon. I had 8 1/2 gallons in there to allow for the live rock displacing the water later. The salinity was roughly 1.022.

This morning I came in and mixed a bit more salt into the water to bring the salinity to 1.023. During lunch, I went home and grabbed the live rock and put it in this afternoon. Need about 5 more lbs at least though so I'll be checking on some rock up at the local fish store. Also will get some pics posted soon!

No comments: