Sunday, May 17, 2009

Tank Maintenance

Well, I've had quite the algae problem with my tank lately. It seems I've been overfeeding my Clowns and causing excess nutrients which in turn fed a colony of cyanobacteria in my display tank. Hmmm, cyano-what? Yep, the notorious red slime algae that's not an algae. It's a bacteria that can easily take over your tank and it's quite unsightly. Anyway, I noticed this about 2 weeks ago, since then I've been feeding sparingly and doing a 15% water change every other day. I blasted most of it off my rock with a turkey baster and with the addition of Chemi-Pure in the fuge area I haven't seen it come back although some still remains in the sand bed unfortunately, but it isn't growing anymore thank goodness!

This last Saturday I've added some Cheato algae to the refugium to compete with the nuisance algae in the display tank. I've also killed the lights all day Sunday after reducing the light cycle from 9 hours to 7 all last week. Hopefully this has helped out, we'll see tomorrow! I'll be posting pics as well.

No comments: